Dec 13, 2012

this and that on a Thursday

This was a day of doing other little odd jobs around the house----laundry and trying to re-make the bed around a little wild cat, baking a new to me sugar cookie recipe and then fixing potato soup and reuben sandwiches for lunch.  (leftover potato soup works great for a base for chicken or turkey pot pie which we will have in a day or so, LOL)  By the time I had clean-up detail done it was close to 1 p.m.  

I re-organized some files on the computer, did a little knitting on another hat and ordered part of my Christmas present when DJ asked what I had in mind for my spending money he normally gives me.  Easiest shopping that boy ever has to do---give me the credit card and I'll take care of  the shopping.

Next thing I knew it was time to cook supper---and more clean up though I still need to tend to my cast iron skillet.  DJ is forbidden to do anything with it  as he would have soap in there in a heartbeat.

And here it is evening----what to do, what to do?  Nothing on TV that I care to watch. 

After looking through the tree skirt pattern, again---I decided to at least get the backing fabric cut.  I cannot remember the last time that I had to use a tissue pattern for anything.  I had to confirm that you cut with the right sides of the fabric together.  I used to make some of my clothes (sundresses, dresses, shorts) but it has been years.  Maybe when I made the kitchen curtains, way back in 1997??   Since these sections have three straight edges I used my rotary cutter and ruler anyway. 

Well, I still need to cut the interfacing or as it says on the pattern "non-fusible fleece"  I am going to assume that they mean like a flat batting and look through the bag of batting cutaways a friend from Friendship Quilters passed on to me.  She has them all labeled as to size that will help OR I will use the batting tape to join what I need and work with it.

I am expecting some sale Christmas fabric from Connecting Threads to augment what I already have---primarily so I can make some stockings as well.  That should be here tomorrow----more washing and pressing ahead.  So enough I will begin piecing on these---piecing the 8 scalloped pieces like a  huge Dresden Plate really with an open hole in the middle for the tree.   5 inches at the top and flares to 17 with pieces about 22 inches long.  HMMMMM

Also I think I need to re-cut the loops though with something contrasting rather than matching the backing cream color---that can wait till I see what fabric predominates.   It closes with big 1 1/2 inch buttons which is kind of cute.

And sew it goes--------

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a fun pattern..good for you to at least get it started. I baked sugar cookies last night-trying out mini cookie cutters for Alice..turned out yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished product! I know it will be beautiful as all your other projects are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree skirt is going to be a fun project That and cookies sounds like Christmas to me!! - ;))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. If you comment will require a reply back, please include your email addy. Unless I am involved in a blog hop, my posts will be moderated and your comment will not appear until I am notified. THX for understanding--this option beats word verification!